The phenomenon of “Impact Investing”, investments with the intention to generate social and environmental impact alongside a financial return, is growing rapidly in South Africa. It is increasingly recognised that entrepreneurs will have an extraordinary influence on both the South African economy and solving what have previously appeared to be intractable social challenges. Despite this realization, finding and securing investment opportunities in South Africa, is difficult. Investors have reported that the lack of “investable opportunities” with a track record is a major constraint to scaling the impact investing industry.
Entrepreneurs that are focused on education, health care, housing, food security, financial inclusion, energy, water, and other climate adaptation/change issues are critical to creating a more socially just country. Yet, these businesses like many others also face a broad spectrum of challenges when trying to grow. These include amongst others:
- Identification of and securing access to target markets;
- A clear revenue generation model, financial plan and strategic direction which leads to;
- Difficulty in securing access to capital to fund growth in either capacity or different geographies.
To address some of these challenges, Impact Amplifier has created the Investment Readiness Accelerator. Its third iteration, this Accelerator is a three-month long program designed for impact business, to prepare for expansion and funding.
Investment Readiness Programme
The programme will offer entrepreneurs the skills, knowledge, documentation and support required to secure investment for their businesses. The Programme addresses:
- Constructing an Impact Case;
- Market access, sales, and distribution;
- Strategic planning;
- Financial modeling and planning;
- Writing an Investment case to secure funding;
- Pitching to investors; and
- Connecting with partners in the business ecosystem, including multinational companies, NGOs and the public sector.
These subjects provide the needed skills and practical application for the participants to become investment ready. Although the Programme is designed to support investment readiness, it has also been structured to create networks for the participants both amongst themselves and between the lecturers and other stakeholders. These networks can form an important part of the entrepreneur’s future success and as such have been consciously woven through the programme’s delivery process.
To learn more about the Investment Readiness Accelerator 2017, and how to apply, visit the Impact Amplifier website.